Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The countdown continues . . .

That's right, folks. It's T minus 3 days and counting until Brad and I move into our first house together. I think I've been cheating a little, though, because I've been not only taking every chance to pop into the house ( . . "Oh, I'm nearby . . I really wanna see the house again. . . WTH, I'll just pop in!" . . .yes, I'm stalking my house, leave me alone!) but also bringing boxes with me and filling the closets, cabinets and pantries. We don't have any furniture there yet, but as of now, any built-in storage there has something in it! Especially as we get closer, I just can't resist packing up anything that isn't necessary for survival and carting it over to the house. Not only is it incredibly satisfying to put our stuff into our house! It's also nice to now that the more we do now, the less hell-ish move-day will actually be. So think of us this Saturday and pray that it's an easy move! Yayeee!!

In other news this week, I went to an endocrinologist for the first time since moving to Orlando. For the last 8 months I've been followed by a PCP and, trust me, I wasn't enjoying it. There really is no substitute for a great endo who you have a good relationship with and who will really take their time with you to sort out any questions or issues. My pediatric endo was wonderful. However, since then, I've been seriously lacking. This is the 5th endo I've tried and I haven't been too impressed with any of them. I'm hoping this doctor will be better. I was prepared for my appointment and I brought with me my list of questions and a book (for me, endos are notorious for long waits). Yes, I do actually bring lists of questions/topics for my doctor appointments. I'm just anal like that.

The first appointment was a little weird but I'm willing to give it another chance. The good news is he had an answer/opinion about everything I had to say. I asked about pumps, CGM's, Symlin and brought up some of my personal diabetes quirks that I've dealt with forever. (For example, I've always been extremely insulin resistant. My carb ratio is 1:5. And I tend to spike my sugar about an hour to two after I wake up.) I like an MD with opinions because, to me, it means they know their stuff, have actually had experience with the subject at hand and have something to add to my thoughts on the subject. The bad news is that he reserved making any judgements on changing my care until he could do some tests. But I can appreciate that. There were a few labs he wanted to check out and I think he thinks I have a thyroid issue, which I don't think I do, but I respect him covering his bases. He also wants to do a C-peptide level since I'm considering starting the pump. (Without a C-peptide to "prove" I'm a type 1 diabetic, the insurance won't cover a pump. After all, I've only been dealing with this for 18 years and my doctors and myself could be totally mistaken about my diagnosis?!?)

Probably the funnest part of my appointment was that he gave me a trial Omnipod. I've looked at the pumps out there and i really think if I were to go back to pumping, this is the pump I would use. It just fits my lifestyle the best. But I still had my reservations, so it's nice to have the trial version so examine and wear so that I can get the "feel" of how invasive it would be. I must admit it was smaller than I thought it would be. And I'm curious how obvious it would be under clothes. Not to mention, I had a habit of ripping my sites out so with this pump being so 3D, I'm worried it will catch on everything. This week is weird because of the move so I'm thinking of slapping on my Trialpod sometime next week. Should be fun! You know your a dorky diabetic when you are excited to try out your new D-gear! :-)

Alright, I had news on the job front, but once again I've rambled on and on. So I'll get to that in the next post. TTFN!

~Layne

No comments:

Post a Comment