Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, December 4, 2009

Explanation

Okay, so that last post was incoherent rambling at best. To explain, I have been having a LOT of lows lately. Most notably in the morning when I first wake up. And these lows have been breaking all my rules. Usually, if I make sure my blood sugar is over 100 before bed I'm okay throughout the night and morning. But I've been as high as 153 before bed and then taking a nose-dive at night and (barely) waking up with a blood sugar in the 40s or 50s. Um. . . annoying?

Especially when it's after a nice long night of sleep when I actually should be waking up refreshed and rested. . . instead I'm a sweaty, shaky mess and I feel completely drained. NOT a good start to the day!

So this morning, it happened . . . again. I woke up with a blood sugar of 48 and went into shaky, panic mode. Of course I over-corrected (because of the complete lack of willpower that happens when I go into the aforementioned shaky, panic mode) and ended up battling a high blood sugar for the rest of the morning. Until, of course, after lunch when I decided to go low again. Ugh. . . shoot me.

::Attn Males: Turn away if you are squeamish about girl-stuff::

If I had to guess I'm going to blame my period. I think that most diabetic women usually run high during their period but I don't. I think I actually tend to bounce around way more during my period. I will run low most of the time but then it seems to be way easier to over-correct a low when I am on my period, thus sending my sugars through the roof. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to both food and insulin at "that time of the month"?

Who knows? All I know is that it's really frustrating to have a routine and to have rules that govern the majority of this stupid disease . . . and then randomly all bets are off and my sugars go haywire. I can blame my period or whatever else but the truth is that I'll never know why my blood sugars are being weird. All I can do is guess and try to anticipate it in the future. But for the here and now my only option to get through it is to treat and move on.

Oh! And to quell the rising frustration that threatens to take over . . .I should do that too!

Grrrrrr,
~Layne

No comments:

Post a Comment