Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, July 5, 2010

The day I knew about you . . .

May 12th:

Today I found out I was pregnant. I'm not going to say I knew. I was hoping, but I didn't know. Each month I was hoping that was the month. And each month I was too impatient to wait until I missed my period to test. And each month the test came back negative. I even tested a few days ago (May 8) thinking that maybe I'd find out I was pregnant right before Mother's Day and what a great story that would have been. Nope, negative.

So I was expecting my period. I had all the signs I normally had. And I had even started feeling crampy the day before. As soon as I felt that familiar soreness, I knew that my period was around the corner. With my period, I'm like clockwork. It always comes overnight to greet me the morning of the 27th day. So this morning when I stirred and felt nothing, I had an inkling.

I tried to go back to sleep but I just couldn't. My mind was racing. I slipped out of bed, grabbed the test and took them into the guest bathroom so I wouldn't wake up Brad. I already felt silly enough (this is the 6th test I've taken in 4 months) and he already thinks I'm obsessed! First, I double-checked to make sure that I really didn't have my period. Nope, nothing. So I peed on the stick in the dark. And I waited the requisite 2 minutes. (Okay, 1 minute and 40 seconds . . . sue me!) The whole time I was thinking this was just going to be another negative. So far I was only "late" by 5 minutes! What were the chances?

But after 1 minute and 40 seconds, when I couldn't wait any longer, I picked up the stick. And even in the almost-dark, I could see the second line. Fainter than the first, but it was still there. I considered, for a split-second, not telling Brad. Trying to hide it for a couple of days so I could plan a surprise announcement. But I cracked. Have I mentioned I'm the most impatient person on the planet? I ran into the bedroom and threw open the blinds. He asked if I was crazy as I yanked on him to sit up in bed. And I showed him the test. He took it and asked if I was sure? But it's so light? I told him I was sure.

We were two idiots, we couldn't stop smiling and I had tears streaming down my face. I just kept saying "Oh my God" and "This is so weird." We hugged over and over again. We spent all morning freaking out, and Brad ended up being a little late out the door for work. He kept saying he didn't want to leave. I kept fretting over a few high blood sugars that I'd had in the last couple of days. We discussed when we could tell people. We wanted to tell everyone that very second but knew it would be more prudent to wait. And we even talked about not getting our hopes up too much in case the worst happened. We settled on 10 weeks, we could announce it once I was 10 weeks. And then Brad promptly started whining that he wanted to tell people. ;-)

So for 10 weeks, it's just the three of us. Brad, me and the little one. And we couldn't be happier.

~Layne

9 comments:

  1. OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you both . . . I mean, for all THREE of you!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, yay! i'm so excited for your family!!!! praying for a safe & healthy pregnancy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the smiles - what a wonderful announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! That IS exciting!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! I am sooo incredibly happy for you...and a little teary actually..is that weird? This is wonderful and I'm excited to hear about your journey! Congratulations to the THREE of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEAH!!! I'm so glad to hear the great news! You have an exciting and joyous road ahead of you. Praying for the best health for you and baby. And remember, if you have any questions, just let me know. I'm happy to continue to share my pregnancy experiences with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LAYNE!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! OH my GOODNESS I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, CONGRATS!!!! SUCH exciting news!! Hope you have wonderful pregnany!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is such, such great news!!!

    ReplyDelete