Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Happy World Diabetes Day

I can't believe it's been a year since I've found the DOC! And I'm still amazed that I found out about the DOC on World Diabetes Day (WDD) last year. How bizarre?

Anyway, today, to celebrate World Diabetes Day, I'm also going to participate in the Big Blue Test. To raise awareness of the importance of testing, they are asking all diabetics to test their blood sugar at 2pm on November 14 (today, World Diabetes Day) and log it on their website. Because I have plans at 2pm, I'm going to test now (12pm) and log it. I'm about to eat lunch anyway, so it works out.

::::drumroll, please::

Huh. That seemed a little anti-climactic to me. Oh well.

Also, today I re-read my first WDD/DOC post from last year. I really like that post. So much has happened in my life since then, it's so hard to believe it was only a year ago that I wrote that. So I will leave you with the final paragraph from that post. It was my favorite part of the whole post. It's powerful and true.

"I'm so happy that today is World Diabetes Day. I hope people other than the diabetics in this world actually know about it and care about it. I'm also happy that this day has been recognized by the United Nations. But for me, November 14th doesn't go away. Every day is diabetes day. It follows me everywhere. For me, this isn't a cause. It's my life."

~Layne

No comments:

Post a Comment